To complete your Career and Technical Education (CTE) certification in any of the three certification areas, you will need to:
- Enroll at UNT,
- Be admitted to the CTE Certification Program,
- Successfully complete the required coursework and an instructional internship experience,
- Take and pass the TExES Certification exam (including a review and practice exam), and
- Submit your application and get fingerprinted.
Completion of the following UNT certification courses:
- LTEC 4110/LTEC 5110 (Designing Instruction in CTE)*
- LTEC 4120/LTEC 5120 (Instructional Strategies in CTE)*
- LTEC 4130/LTEC 5130 (Professional Roles and Management in CTE)*
- LTEC 4140/LTEC 5140 (Work-based Learning in CTE)*
- LTEC 4740/LTEC 6701 (Instructional Internship - Must enroll in both the fall and spring semesters)^
For LTEC courses, refer to the LTEC Course Offering Schedule for a list of course availability.
* Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) courses
^ If required on your Career Development Plan (CDP) issued by the CTE Certification Coordinator.
Once you have accepted a teaching position, you must actively engage in an Instructional Internship Experience. Your Career Development Plan (CDP) will specify the type of internship experience required. If you are required to enroll in LTEC 4740/LTEC 6701, please note that these courses are offered only during the Fall and Spring semesters.
The Instructional Internship Experience is very much like a "student teaching" experience except that you will be the "instructor of record" teaching in your classroom. We will work with you to select a campus-based mentor. A university supervisor will oversee your first year of teaching.
You should be able to complete your required certification courses in one year.
All CTE certification students are required to create and maintain an ePortfolio using Foliotek, a digital repository provided by UNT, to assess knowledge, skills, and attitudes related to CTE program standards and expectations. Throughout the certification process, you will upload electronic documentation and evidence of your progress. A link to the UNT ePortfolio tool is available through your my.unt.edu portal as well as through the UNT Career Connect website. Video-based instructions for accessing and using Foliotek are available on the Career Connect website.
The College of Education will track your progress in your program through this data to verify that you have successfully met the competencies required in your program of study. All students must register in the program portfolio that aligns with their degree plan. Registration codes and tutorials can be found on this site: https://www.coe.unt.edu/office-educator-preparation/foliotek
Completion of TExES PPR Review and Practice Exam for your program (Instructions). Effective September 1, 2018, the official proctor for the TExES examination is Pearson Education. For more information on registering for the TExES exam, visit the Pearson website.